Favorite Quotes

"It is easier to build strong children than repair broken men." ~ Fredrick Douglas

"He who plants a graden, harvest healing."

Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Perfect Morning at SunShine Meadows

As some of you know my hours were cut back at SCNM. At first I was worried and wondered how I was going to handle this but I have soon realized the true blessing this was. I woke up this morning and was going about my chores and thought what a perfect little life Colton and I have here. I wanted to capture a perfect little morning for you. I wake up about 5am. Dress for the day and excitedly put on my apron anticipating the beautiful morning. I rush out to my garden and chickens. First I peek in on the chickens. I make sure they are all there and safe. They are usually chirping and saying, “where is our breakfast?” That is assuming they could talk but that is what I imagine them to say to me. I then look at my gardens. I pull a few weeds that seemed to have grown over night. Then I water and tenderly look for new growth. I get my little garden basket and harvest the items that are ready, bright red tomatoes, corn, basil, mint and peppers. I feel thankful for the wonderful back yard we have and the ability to have a garden. I then feed the chickens and get my nursing book. I sit outside where I can enjoy the gardens and the chickens and study for my upcoming test. The mornings are still cool and beautiful. It is wonderful to enjoy the morning outside. I have also been doing a lot of canning. Last night my good friend Brad Petersen, also known as Chef Brad, gave me lots of chicken breast that was left over from a catering job. It needed to be canned! I was just the person for this job. I eagerly attempted my first try at canning meat. I called my other great friend Rachel Omerza for guidance to make sure I was doing it right…….It turned out perfectly! I now have 13 pints of wonderful chicken breast ready to go for a quick healthy meal! This morning after I did my chores out in the garden I came in and looked at my handiwork in the kitchen. Washed the jars and stored them away in my canning pantry I have created. (Many of you have seen my canning pantry) The sense of self reliance and provident living makes one feel so empowered! I also made apricot jam last night! “What a night!”to quote Mamma Mia. As I took the finished jars out of the cooker I wait for that moment that I would hear the sound very canner waits to hear…….PING, PING, PING…. Oh, how melodious! Oh, how joyous to hear the sound of all our hard work coming to fruition! (This is the sound the cans make as they seal)

One little thing that I have learned in life is to not go around shouting life’s not fair. Instead I have learned that we should look at the beautiful vistas in our life and be thankful for the wonderful things we do have. When we do that we start to see we truly have a life full of abundance and joy no matter our problems or trials.
Hope you have enjoyed our little commentary. Make it a great day and enjoy your beautiful vista in your life… whatever it may be!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, talk about ambition. I wish I could have been there to hear the jars sealing and making the "ping" noise. Good job Celeste. Question: What are you going to do when you get that cupboard all filled with deliciousness?

The Palacio Place said...

I have already had a problem with that! Yesturday morning I canned lots of my tomatoe from my garden into Tomato sauce... my cupboard is full... "now what?" I asked myself! Another shelf? store the canned goods in a different splace? quickly eat all of our good work? I am not sure what the answer is. I guess store them in a different place seems the most logical!

Heather Weir said...

I am amazed! They sure picked the right person for enrichment leader! You could teach us all how to be enriched. I'm jealous of your self reliance cupboard. Mine is not at all that big! It will get there though!

EmileeandJonny said...

Wow that is so great! I need some lessons from you- I have been wanting to learn how to do chicken, you are so good!